About this Site
Welcome to the online combined IUU vessel list. To date, eight regional fisheries management organisations (RFMOs) maintain or share lists of vessels that have been found to carry out or support IUU fishing within their own or adjacent convention areas. These RFMOs are the:
- Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR)
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)
- International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT)
- Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (IOTC)
- Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organisation (NAFO)
- North East Atlantic Fisheries Commission (NEAFC)
- South East Atlantic Fisheries Organisation (SEAFO)
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO)
In addition, since 2013 Interpol member states have issued Purple Notices to request or provide information regarding known IUU vessels.
Each RFMO IUU vessel list and the vessels subject to Interpol Purple Notices have been merged into a single list, supplemented with information from major commercial maritime online databases. Information recorded on the combined IUU vessel list comprised a vessel’s name and name history, flag and flag history, International Maritime Organization (IMO) number (where one could be assigned), international radio call sign (IRCS) and call sign history, owner(s) and operator(s) information (where available), technical details (e.g. vessel type and tonnage), the IUU vessel listing RFMOs, and dates and reasons for IUU vessel listing and delisting.
Searching the Vessel List
- Click 'Search' tab
- The first time you visit the search page, ALL vessels will appear in the 'Results' list below.
- When you enter text (or numbers) into the search box, only vessels that have matching text or numbers within their vessel details will be displayed.
- For example - If you are searching for a particular vessel by name, just start typing the name and the results list will instantly change to show only listings that match
- ALL data will be searched, so you don't need to know whether a name is current or old, for example
Refining the Search
- You can include / exclude vessels listed by particular RFMOs, and those that are Currently Listed / Delisted, using the checkboxes
Sorting the Results list
- Initially, vessels will be sorted alphabetically by RFMO vessel name
- Click on a column header (eg 'IMO Number') to sort the list by that column
- Click column header again to invert the sort order
Viewing Vessel Details
- Click on the 'details' link in the results list to see more about that vessel. Blank boxes indicate fields for which there is currently no data, or where data is pending
- Click 'Return to Search' if you want to go back to your previous results list
- Click 'New Search' if you want to start over